Cloaking refers to a search engine optimization, or SEO, method used by webmasters to deceive search engine crawlers by presenting different content to the search engine than that which is presented to a user. Search engines such as Google’s consider this a violation of ethical internet practices, and there are consequences for doing it. Current digital marketing strategies must include ways to avoid cloaking, and SEO experts warn against it. When Googlebot, Google’s web-crawling device (that essentially ‘crawls’ the web and discovers new and updated pages to be added to Google’s index) finds cloaking, it considers it unethical and there are consequences. Therefore, it is necessary to be able to recognize cloaking and avoid it. Continue reading “What is Cloaking?”
It can be frustrating to realize the SEO campaign you’ve been working on is simply not meeting its objectives. Failed SEO campaigns are not just limited to unknowing individuals who are trying to save a buck and run their own campaign. There are companies and knowledgeable people who set out to design an SEO campaign for clients only to find out that it did not achieve what it was designed to do. An SEO campaign requires a lot of research in a lot of areas over a long period of time. There are three very basic reasons behind failed SEO campaigns. Addressing these three areas specifically can improve the success rates of future SEO campaigns.
Continue reading “Why do SEO Campaigns Fail?”
There are many people who really just don’t get search engine optimization (SEO). If they are not following SEO best practices on a regular basis, it is easy for them to think that it is as easy as creating a site, fill it with content, and then build links from as many places as possible. And in reality, that actually works – sometimes. But as a general rule, the reality is that SEO is a craft, or a unique practice. It can be very easily misunderstood and equally as difficult to hire an SEO specialist who thinks past the simplicity to the more complex issues we face.
Is SEO a Science?
There are some solid definitions of science which includes: Continue reading “SEO is a Science”
Now that you have started your blog in the WordPress platform, there are many things you can do to optimize it. There are over 50 million WordPress blogs hosted on the WordPress website. This makes getting your blog noticed a chore. By using some SEO tactics, you can create a blog that is optimized for Google searches and packed full of important relevant content that people will want to read.
You can hire an SEO consultant, but this article is meant to show you how to optimize your WordPress blog without any help. Fresh and engaging content is what builds a loyal following and attracts backlinks. You can even tweak the content you have to get a better search engine ranking. Here are 7 key areas of SEO that, while do not do much alone, together can optimize your blog. Continue reading “How to Optimize a WordPress Blog”
Today’s digital landscape can be a scary place for those who have not kept up with the latest trends in technology. Over the last few years, digital marketing has continued to evolve and social media along with mobile use has become more mainstream. With research showing that more buyers conduct online research prior to making a purchase, it has become crucial for businesses to engage and invest in digital marketing campaigns. Developing a digital marketing strategy can be broken into several key steps. It is well worth the time it takes to develop a strategy as it will provide a blueprint that will drive traffic,
Steps to developing an effective digital marketing Strategy:
If you are new to the world of digial marketing you should take time to learn about the field, read some of the top digital marketing blogs and watch videos that discuss SEO. Once you are familiar with some of the basic terminology you can proceed to the work itself.
- Make an analysis of your current state. Look at what types of digital media you already have at your disposal. For example, it is likely you have already been in contact with an SEO firm and have a company website. In many cases, businesses also have an established presence on some social media sites like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Perhaps you’ve started on some of these sites but have not completed their setup. This is an essential step and you will want to make sure that you are making full use of SEO strategies such as properly using related keywords in titles, WebPages and tags.
- Analyze your audience. This might be the most important step in the process of developing a digital marketing strategy. Reaching your customers is the ultimate goal and it is necessary to know where they are, what they like and what they are likely to respond to. As with any business, customers are number 1 and they are your primary concern. Think about what group(s) you want to reach and exactly who you are targeting with your digital marketing campaign. Determining who you want to reach is essential for developing other steps in the process.
- Determine your marketing goals. You need to define your specific goals. Do you want to increase site visitors by 50 per day or obtain 300 new visitors by the end of the campaign? Perhaps you have only 20-30 likes on your Facebook page and you want to increase this number to over 100 by the end of a couple of months. Goals should be ranked in order to track your successes. Determining your goals should include: specific numbers, be measurable, actionable, realistic and reasonable, and timed.
- Choose the digital channels you will be using to reach your audience. The best channels to use will actually be determined by the audience. You have many channels at your disposal including: social media sites, email marketing, print, webinars, Podcasts, text marketing, YouTube videos, search engine marketing and pay per click just to name some of the most popular channels. You may start with just a couple of channels and extend out to 10 or more at a later date. Depending on your industry and the audience you are trying to reach you may choose to start developing content for a company blog or email marketing. Just remember that your audience is the heart of any campaign – use the channels they are using.
- Develop an action plan. Once you decide exactly what you want to do and the channels you want to use you can begin developing content. Your action plan will depend largely on the type of content you are creating and the channels you are using. Develop high quality content that will be distributed on the digital channels. This should be keyword rich and contain carefully crafted titles which help actively engage the audience. Your content is actually the crux of the matter and how it is presented will determine whether or not the campaign is successful at reaching your goals. Once you know your channels and your action plan determine a set schedule. For instance, if you are starting with a blog determine when you will be updating the blog. You may choose every Tuesday morning or two to three times per week. Just set your schedule and then be consistent.
- Measure and interact. No matter what digital channels are being used it is important to measure effectiveness. You may count emails, inquiries, or site visitors. You can also use more complex methods of measuring such as Google analytics. It is important to continue to monitor the effectiveness of a digital marketing campaign to determine what might (or might not) need to be tweaked.